Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Ahoy Polloi!

Cliched as bowling shoes, parkas, and scooters, the boating blazer still has a place in my heart as far as mod clothing is concerned. This previous winter I had made a list of "things to get" clothing wise and decided to add a decent boating blazer to the list. Like a lion in the grass, I patiently waited for the right one to come along and I pounced. The first one I obtained was the blue and black multi striped number on the left from Ben Sherman. I had actually got it off eBay for a reasonable price and gambled on the fit, well when it arrive it fit like a glove. I was very pleased and the picture doesn't do it justice. I had scratched the blazer off the list of items and was content. But recently I went to visit a friend who owned a vintage store locally, Blue Velvet Vintage, and as I was making small talk, my eyes focused in on the second one on a far away rack in a way that can only be likened to the Terminators computer vision. I went and had a look but noticed small holes on the sleeve that showed the white lining underneath. I was gutted. As we talked more, I kept looking back at it...eventually I had another look and realized they weren't hole, but stitching left over from the original tag on the sleeve. This beauty was dead stock! Even the pockets were still sewn shut. I obviously bought it that moment. The sleeves were a tad too short and it was lacking a third button on this two button job, but a quick trip to the lady who does my alterations and viola', a new boater! (I still have to replace the buttons, but not a big deal considering) Never discount vintage stores or eBay as I picked up both of these for under $100 total (including alterations). Now, to work on that list a bit more. Fall is coming and I am keen to have some decent sports coats and blazers for the evenings when I go out rather that just rely on suits. Wish me luck!

4 comments:

  1. Like a true Texan, this posts talks of an upcoming fall, and your last a blazing summer! Nice work on the blazers, would another color shirt underneath work with these besides white?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course, I just used the white as a reference. I have worn a thin black turtleneck with the blue as well as a light blue. Usually when I get a new blazer or coat, I'll lay it down on my bed and then go through my shirts and lay them down next to it one at a time. Sometimes you'll run across a match that you never suspected. I just got the green one back and haven't had a chance to wearit yet, so nothing yet, but I also got them back with a pair of white levi's and that looked to be a good match.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these! Lets all go shopping soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No no no no no....yes. You know I am "down like a clown, charlie brown". I just updated my newest "to get" excel spreadsheet....yeah that's right, nerding it up Microsoft style.

    ReplyDelete