Monday, August 23, 2010

I love a good jerk.


Don't read too much into that. Please. I was on a different forum recently that I visit and the subject of flowers in the lapel came up. There were plenty of nay-sayers giving it the no vote, and a handful of people giving it the yes. I was a "yes man", in the best of terms. I am a firm believer in the idea of attitude being as important as the clothes. If you look unsure in what you are wearing, it's ruined. But if you look like you own the situation, and the clothes are not a concern for you, then it works wonders. You have to be the person you want to be, not pretend to be. My argument was that if you did it right and acted like the flower wasn't even there, then its doable. Here's my example; how many of you have seen Animal House? It's a great movie with one of the best movie jerks of all time, Neidermeyer. The very first scene that he is in, he's wearing a flower in his lapel. anyone remember this? Of course not, his personality made him, not that flower. I mean, he was wearing a madras blazer, flower, button down and cravat!! But he worked it and nobody thought twice. Now, I am not saying you have to be an asshole to wear something, but you have to buy your clothes with intelligence, put them on with care, and then forget all about them (to paraphrase Mr Amies). You want your clothes to be an expression of yourself that you don't need to justify, not a paint by numbers with a disclaimer. Great, ...now I want a madras blazer.

No comments:

Post a Comment